I’ve been on a serious chipotle kick, and I recently saw a recipe for Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa Verde. The salsa didn’t excite me, so I decided to make my own Mango Avocado Salsa. I also changed the chipotle shrimp a few ways to make it healthier.
The result? Glorious, delicious, EASY tacos that combine savory (chipotle) and sweet (mango). This mango avocado salsa could be used a thousand ways, too: on grilled salmon, turkey burgers, mixed in with couscous or quinoa, or made into guacamole. The chipotle seasoning has big flavor, but it’s made with just olive oil, chipotle spices and salt.
This has already made it onto our short list of recipes, since it doesn’t take long (especially if you make the salsa ahead of time) and uses ingredients that are almost always in our pantry. Without further ado:
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Southwest Chipotle seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups medium shrimp - pre-cooked, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
- Combine all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the olive oil, chipotle seasoning and salt in a medium bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to coat.
- If using pre-cooked shrimp, you can heat them in a frying pan on the stovetop, on the grill or in an oven set to 300F for 5 minutes. If using uncooked shrimp, cook until pink.
- Warm tortillas on the stovetop, grill, oven (wrapped in aluminum foil) or microwave (30 second increments). Fill warm tortillas with chipotle shrimp and top generously with salsa.
- I love the Southwest Chipotle seasoning by Mrs. Dash, but you could also use straight chipotle pepper seasoning.