It’s cocky naming your recipe “easiest ever,” I know. But it does not get any easier than this butternut squash soup. Unless of course you buy pre-made soup, and then you’ve cracked the code.
But as far as making your own, it’s just 3 ingredients, plus optional garnishes for appearances. Most recipes I saw called for carrots, celery, thyme and a bunch of other wonderful things I didn’t have, so I decided to throw together what I had and hope for the best. That approach doesn’t always work out for me, but this time it definitely did!
You won’t miss the long list of ingredients. The butternut squash adds so much flavor that you don’t need much else. The tiny stir of heavy whipping cream (added on a whim, leftover from a guest’s visit) adds a pretty touch, too. That and the creamy flavor made my husband think it was a cream-based soup! I’m happy to say it’s broth-based and really very healthy. Butternut squash does, in fact, taste quite buttery, which translates nicely when pureed into a soup.
Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 butternut squash, cooked
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- pepper to taste (optional)
- 1 sliced green onion for garnish (optional)
- Cook butternut squash using your preferred method. I baked it face down on a cookie sheet at 350F for about 50 minutes. It was very soft - too soft to cube - but that's perfectly fine in this recipe.
- Place butternut squash and broth in a blender or large food processor. (Beware not to overfill your food processor or it will spill out! Speaking from experience, of course. You may need to process in batches if you don't have a blender). Blend until pureed and smooth.
- If you have a Vitamix, turn to medium-high intensity for 1-2 minutes to heat the soup. Check temperature occasionally.
- Otherwise, transfer soup to a saucepan and heat on medium-high heat on the stovetop.
- Once hot, serve. Add 1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream to each bowl. This adds some flavor and also makes it pretty, so stir just once or twice to create a pattern on top.
- Garnish with black pepper and green onion if desired.